Thursday, November 24, 2016

She Did It!

It was a hard fought battle between Cricket and I leading up to her first trials, at Nationals no less.  The last few weeks before the first trial, I was sure I had made a huge mistake, trying to make a trial dog out of a ranch dog.  All the years of her just doing what she needed to do, with little or no input from me, was proving hard to overcome.
 
In the end, she showed everyone, including me, that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.  Not only did she qualify on her first and second runs on sheep, she was within 4 points of 4th at Nationals, out of over 60 dogs, AND got her Started Sheep title!  Not only that, but she managed to beat the little pup on ducks to qualify there too.
 
Guess we'll have to just keep going at it, then.....I don't know if a WTCH is in her future - she's 11, and trials are expensive - but who knows?
 


2 comments: