Sunday, November 24, 2013

"You Gotta Try This!"

Tracking! Here's a link to a nice overview article in Whole Dog Journal. Rowyn and I started tracking training back in August; it is a totally different type of dog/owner activity. I'm enjoying the heck out of this, and it seems like Rowyn is too. He really seems to like this 'work'. Out on the track (scent) he is the expert and gets to lead the way. I'm just there to get him started, offer moral support and dispense treats at the appropriate times. Rowyn seems to have a real knack for this, every session he makes great progress. I'm not off the hook though. I have to watch my dog, read his body language, make sure he keeps focus and I have to learn about how scent behaves in different conditions. Or maybe I'm just all excited about this because it seems easier than learning to herd? We've found a great trainer, and it turns out she's also learned herding with... her Boxers. ??? Yeah, really. She's a member of the local herding club here.

We had a great training session this morning, and Reegan, our trainer, took a little video, so now I can share it with you. I hope this works.



No comments:

Post a Comment